Matcha Latte is possibly one of the best low-caffeine pick-me-ups!
Swap out your usual daily coffee fix with a creamy, earthy, rich and just downright delicious drink.
1 teaspoon matcha powder whisked with 1/4 cup of hot not boiling water. Now is the time to add any sweeteners you may like ie: sugar, honey, maple syrup, sugar syrup, stevia etc. Once the mixture is well blended without any lumps, whisk in 1 cup hot frothed milk of your choice.
Sprinkle with extra sifted matcha powder or try sprinkling cinnamon on top for an added flavour.
See our Matcha Production here
See our Matcha Health Benefits here
1. In a bowl, mix the gelatin and water, place the bowl in a pan of hot water, and mix until the gelatin dissolves.
2. In a separate bowl, combine the egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and salt, and stir until the mixture turns whitish.
3. Heat the milk in a small pan until it is lukewarm.
4. Mix the matcha and 2 tablespoons of warm milk and stir briskly until the paste becomes smooth. Set aside.
5. Add the rest of the milk to the egg yolks and cook over low heat, taking care not to let the milk boil as the yolks will harden. Remove
from the heat and cool slightly.
6. Add the gelatin, matcha paste, and brandy to the milk, and mix. Place in a large bowl of iced water to let it cool.
7. Lightly whip the cream and fold into the mixture. Pour into individual glasses and refrigerate until set.
8. Serve garnished with your favourite fruit and syrup.
Note: The bavarois will look more attractive if you slightly tilt the glasses when you put them in the refrigerator.
Matcha can be prepared in a variety of spreads/butter which is delicious on hot toast, focaccia, pancakes or added to steamed vegetables or fresh cut veggies.
Ingredients: 120g butter or butter substitute; 1/2 tsp matcha
Blend the softened butter with sifted matcha until well incorporated. Spread onto muffins, toast etc.
Matcha Condensed Milk Spread
Ingredients: 1/2 tsp matcha + 1 tsp hot water; 1/2 cup condensed milk
Whisk matcha & hot water together until smooth, stir in the condensed milk until well blended. Serve on toast, French toast, pancakes, or rye bread.
Matcha Cream Cheese
Ingredients: 120g cream cheese (softened); 1/2 tsp matcha + 1 tsp hot water
Blend matcha & hot water until smooth and mix into cream cheese. This lively, green spread can be used in savoury dishes, as a spread onto raw veggies or as a base for matcha cheesecake.
Matcha Whipped Cream
Ingredients: 1 tsp matcha + 2 tsp hot water; 1/2 cup fresh whipping cream
Mix the matcha & hot water to a smooth paste, semi-whip the cream and fold in the cooled matcha paste. Continue whipping into peaks. Use on cakes, puddings, pies and as a topping for Iced Matcha Lattes.
Recipes courtesy of Mutsuko Tokunaga - New Tastes in Green Tea published 2004